Sell your property with Marques

The Marques Homes of Distinction service gives a visible edge to our properties for sale. Once appointed as sole agents, we produce bespoke, four-page, full-colour marketing material for your property, including professional interior and exterior photography, detailed floor-plans and a concise property description, all beautifully presented in a laminated brochure. We also promote our properties for sale through the Marques website and on property portals including the national Prime Location and Rightmove websites.

Guild of Professional Estate Agents

We are the only appointed representatives of the Guild of Professional Estate Agents for the Southampton area. This membership organisation is a national network of approximately 800 independently owned estate agents. As a member, we have exclusive access to a comprehensive range of tools, training and marketing as well as the latest IT facilities. These additional services enable us to provide you with a unique service to secure you a better result.

Selling a Tenanted Property

At Marques, we work hard to find potential buyers for your property whilst maintaining good relations with your current tenants. It is important that your tenants understand what processes are involved when you sell on a property to a new landlord, viewings will need to be arranged with your tenants consent.

If you are looking to sell a tenanted property, please contact us >

Request a property valuation

We offer a free no-obligation rental market appraisal as well as advice for new or existing landlords.

Request valuation

Contact us

Do you have a query or something you’d like to discuss? Contact our Southampton office.

Contact us

Selling FAQs

How much will it cost to sell my property?

The costs involved in selling your property consist of:

Energy Performance Certificate

It is a legal requirement to have commissioned an EPC before marketing can start. Marques can organise this legally required document on your behalf at a cost of £75 + VAT.

Estate agent commission

Commission fees become payable once your estate agent sells your property and contracts are signed. This is charged as a percentage of the sale price + VAT.

Legal fees for the conveyancing process

These vary depending on the solicitor you choose.

Are there any additional marketing costs?

Your estate agent should include all marketing expenses within their commission fee but it is worth checking this before you instruct an estate agent, as some may charge an additional fee for advertising etc.

Where are my Title Deeds?

Your Title Deeds are proof of ownership of your property. They will be held by your bank or building society if you have a mortgage and your solicitor will obtain the deeds and let the buyer's solicitor have a copy.

Do I need to redecorate before I put my property on the market?

It is not essential to redecorate your property before placing it on the market, however, if an area is in need of a lick of paint this will appeal to potential buyers. More tips and guidance on presenting your property.

Who will conduct viewings on my property and when will they occur?

Your estate agent should accompany all viewings during their opening hours. However, in some circumstances they may ask you to conduct the occasional viewing. It is advisable to choose an estate agent who offers longer opening hours to maximise viewing potential and minimise the number of viewings you have to conduct yourself.

Do I need to be present for viewings?

If your estate agent is accompanying all viewings and they have the access codes and keys for your property your presence is not required. Marques accompany all viewings.

It is worth noting that buyers often feel more relaxed when the owner is not present.

If I accept an offer will my property still be viewed?

This depends on the conditions of the offer and what your preferences are.

As a rough rule of thumb, a ‘fully furnished’ property usually comes with all the main fixtures, furnishings and fittings, white goods etc., plus general crockery, cutlery, glassware, pots and pans etc., that an ‘average’ tenant would normally be expected to use on a day to day basis.

An ‘unfurnished’ property, however, would normally only provide the basics of carpets, curtains and light fittings.

To ensure that neither the landlord nor the tenant feels disadvantaged, it is very important that exactly what is and isn’t included in the agreement is clearly understood by both sides before finalising the tenancy contract.

Do I have to pay Stamp Duty?

No, the buyer is responsible for paying Stamp Duty.

When do I have to move out?

On the completion date, which is mutually agreed by yourself and the buyer.

Do I have to pay Capital Gains Tax on the property?

If you are selling a property that is your main home, you won't have to pay tax on it as long as you satisfy certain conditions. However, if you are selling a property that is not your main home, it is likely you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax.

Are you looking for property to invest in?

find out about our exclusive landlord opportunities

“I have recently let my apartment for the 3rd time through Marques & can honestly say it has been a breeze. I have had less than 7 days void period in 5 years when letting with this company which is largely due to them ensuring maintenance issues are dealt with swiftly & tenants being treated fairly. My tenants have always spoken highly of the agent which gives me lots of confidence also. I have landlord friends who I have referred to Marques & always positive feedback. Keep up the good work. ”

C Hilton, Southampton

Cookies help us improve your Marques online experience. If you accept their use, continue using our site. Or, find out more about cookies.